Lost My Faculties: A teacher's blog

About the miserable joy of teaching other people's children.

Friday, April 21, 2006

don't know

My heart just isn't in it anymore. I don't know what triggered my apathy. Maybe it was dissolving into tears in front of my class for no apparent reason.
Maybe it's the continual negative feedback from parents and students. Maybe it's all the teachers who think they know everything. Maybe it's not being treated like a professional. Maybe it's my upbringing - that no matter what I do it's not enough. That I'll always be a disappointment.

Good Gawd, I'm depressing!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I taught middle school for 26 years and I had episodes of weeping like that a lot. Don't panic or worry; it's a natural thing when you work with kids and deal with their failure all the time. THEIR failure, not yours.

And all we can do is keep on keeping on.

Chin up. You're doing a great job.

11:42 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

And maybe it's just the end-of-the-school-year blues. It can be more than a bit overwhelming, and I find myself tearing up occasionally too. You're not alone! And you are blessed to have a colleague who will cover for you when you just can't stop the tears from flowing. So...this is the weekend. What are you doing just for you?

5:31 PM  
Blogger the anonymous teacher said...

this is my first year teaching, and i will say i've cried more in the past year than i have in my entire 24 years on this planet.
this is a demanding job, and as mamacita pointed out, it's natural to become invested in your students' successes.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

thanks for all your kind words of support -
this is a really tough job!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Camp Cool Counselor said...

Teachers: human beings trying to do a super human job

Hang in there. Read some inspiring teacher books (Classrooms that SPARK!, published by www.inspiringteachers.com,
looks good).

Alternatively, distract yourself by reading something funny and adventurous (I highly recommend Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series...there ARE worse jobs than ours!)

4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home