Lost My Faculties: A teacher's blog

About the miserable joy of teaching other people's children.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

WTF?! A Rant ....

Okay. So.
I keep a webpage of homework assignments for the specific purpose of having kids LOOK AT IT TO KEEP UP. I also hand out a hardcopy of the very same information. So why do students come to class claiming they didn't know what was due? Why do they even attempt to gain my sympathy when they're too lazy to look at the hardcopy I MADE FOR THEM, or look it up on the FREAKIN' INTERNET?!
Every year, I hear the same crap from dumbass 9th graders who were spoon fed at middle school by dumbass teachers. I hate middle school. Dumbasses!

Yes. I know I've been watching too much of "That 70's Show" - I sound like Red Foreman.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chatty said...

Um, I teach 8th grade middle school and have my homework on the wall, on the board, on a calendar I provide for them and also put that same calendar on the internet. There is also a blog and my school webpage.

They still don't do the homework. How about a little blame on the real dumbasses - the parents who don't invest enough to know what is really going on in the classroom and the kids who don't accept the responsibility of the actions, or lack of.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Chatty - point well taken. This last week I've heard a lot of "We never did this in middle school"... and so I sort of threw the baby out with the bath water. Sorry.
I'm sure I'll have some choice words soon for parental figures - midterm progress reports go home tomorrow.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Genevieve Hinson said...

OMG I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE a web page of my son's homework and stuff he had to do. I'm just so ever thankful his teachers are willing to e-mail me when I get the feeling he's not doing what he's supposed to.

Heck, because of those e-mails I found out he was having problems in math and is now in five days of tutoring (muhahaha).

8:21 PM  
Blogger graycie said...

Four years ago I moved from middle school to high school. My students -- the ones I had taught in middle school who were also in my freshman classes the very next year -- swore that they had never heard of (choose your educational topic or skill).

I pointed out that I had taught them this very thing the previous year and that they had mastered the material. My proof? They were in my freshman class and not still back in middle school. Little suckers still stared at me with pathetic blank faces.

That's when I learned that it isn't the previous school (in middle school we berated the elementary teachers) -- it's the doggone kids!!!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Thanks Graycie -
Also a good point. It's like when they answer the question "What did you do in school today?" with "Nuthin'". So students try the learned helplessness thing, and hope it works.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home