Lost My Faculties: A teacher's blog

About the miserable joy of teaching other people's children.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

A most sinister confession

By this time each year, I have jotted down a list of students who have bugged me all year long. This year is no different, but I guess the good part is that my list gets shorter every year. Or maybe that's bad because I learn to put up with more shit from students and parents each year.

Every year my grading standard become rather fluid around this time, too. Is it wrong to merely ballpark a kid's grade without really reading his work? Does it matter if I don't grade every damn assignment they turned in? Should I be assigning this much crap anyway? Does it really make a difference to anyone?

Tomorrow's my last day of real teaching - next week we have semester exams . I think I can make it all the way through the day. Or at least til lunch - it's pizza day.

La la la I don't care anymore.

1 Comments:

Blogger HappyChyck said...

I was stressing about grading this big assignment I collected a few weeks ago. I made an excellent rubric that should have made the job easy, but I just wasn't getting to it. My dear friend told me to just glance at it and assign it an A, B, or C. Yea, I resort to that sometimes.

She said, "I've been teaching 15 years, I can generally tell by skimming what grade it should get." Funny she actually said that outloud. I've often thought I had such keen powers, too. I'll stop and think, "Now is this really accurate? Could I defend this to the student, parent, or admin?" Yes, I could, but truthfully, you're right. Most don't care.

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home